Garland, TX 75044
10th Annual Christmas is for the Birds (Covid Red Style)
Saturday, December 5, 10-11am or while supplies last
1770 Holford Rd.
Join the Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest for a drive-by distribution of bird feeder kits for our 10th annual Christmas is for the Birds event.
The Society has prepared individual bird feeder craft kits for children to assemble at home or socially distanced in a park of their choice. Families are asked to remain in their cars and drive carefully through the oval parking lot at Spring Creek Forest Preserve, 1770 Holford Road. Volunteers wearing face masks and gloves will distribute kits (one per child) to each family’s vehicle.
Some folks make their own feeder treats at home to hang on the trees.
- Note that biodegradable bird feeder ornaments must be hung with cotton yarn or string. The birds will use the string later for making their nests. Metal or plastic hangers, including fishing line, are not allowed in the Preserve because they are dangerous. Birds and wildlife might ingest it and certainly be injured.
- Some examples of biodegradable bird feeders:
- Pine cones coated in peanut butter and rolled in bird seed.
- Strings of fresh or dried berries.
- Suet balls
- Strings of non-buttered popcorn.